PowerWorld Simulator Help Files
Simulator help is available online through the link provided below. This online help will be updated periodically.
- PowerWorld Simulator Online Help – updated July 11, 2023
These help files can also be installed locally on your computer. To install or update these files locally, download and unzip the following zip file.
- PowerWorld Simulator Help zip file – updated July 11, 2023
PowerWorld Simulator Auxiliary File Format
The list below are PDF documents with the format described. To save these files to your hard drive for easier viewing, right-click on the link and select “Save Target As …” or “Save Link As …”.
- Auxiliary File Format 23 – updated August 17, 2023
- Auxiliary File Format 22 – updated January 25, 2023
- Auxiliary File Format 21 – updated January 22, 2021
- Auxiliary File Format 20 – updated November 14, 2018
- Auxiliary File Format 19 – updated January 25, 2018
- Auxiliary File Format 18 – updated January 21, 2015
- Auxiliary File Format 17 – updated February 25, 2014
- Auxiliary File Format 16
- Auxiliary File Format 15
- Auxiliary File Format 14
- Auxiliary File Format 13
- Auxiliary File Format 12
- Auxiliary File Format 11
- Auxiliary File Format 10
Concise Contingency and Remedial Action Scheme Format
This format was first created as a means to exchange data for defining contingencies and Remedial Action Schemes (RAS) among entities throughout the Western Electricity Coordinating Council (WECC). Starting in version 18 this format is an enhancement to the data section of the traditional auxiliary file format found in Simulator, and it can be loaded into Simulator anywhere that an auxiliary file can be loaded.
- Contingency and Remedial Action Scheme Format – August 11, 2022
PowerWorld Simulator Transient Stability References
To save these files to your hard drive for easier viewing, right-click on the link and select “Save Target As …” or “Save Link As …”.
- PowerWorld Simulator 18 Block Diagrams
- PowerWorld Simulator 17 Block Diagrams
- PowerWorld Simulator 16 Block Diagrams
- PowerWorld Simulator 15 Block Diagrams
- Quick-Start Tutorial and sample cases: Most of the examples will work on the free demo version of Simulator with Transient Stability.
PowerWorld Simulator Optimal Power Flow Reference
PowerWorld TransLineCalc Help Files
Save these files into your PowerWorld Simulator directory (C:\Program Files\PowerWorld\TransCalc by default) by right-clicking on the link and selecting “Save Target As …” or “Save Link As …”.
FirstRate Users’ Guide
Provides a general description of using the FirstRate Generator Cost Model with PowerWorld Simulator. To save the file to your hard drive for easier viewing, right-click on the link and select “Save Target As …” or “Save Link As …”.
PowerWorld Simulator Users’ Guides
- Simulator 16 User Guide
- Simulator 15 User Guide (not available, use Simulator 16 guide)
- Simulator 14 User Guide
- Simulator 13 User Guide
- Simulator 12 User Guide
- Simulator 11 User Guide
- Simulator 10 User Guide
- Simulator 9 User Guide
- Simulator 8 User Guide
- Simulator 7 User Guide
- Simulator 6 User Guide
Legacy Help Files
Help files for older version of Simulator can be saved by right-clicking on the appropriate link and selecting “Save Target As …” or “Save Link As …”, saving the zip file to a location you’ll remember, and then extracting Pwrworld.chm into your PowerWorld Simulator directory (C:\Program Files\PowerWorld\Simulator by default). Right-click on the file after extracting, select Properties, and click on the Unblock button in the bottom right hand corner of the General tab. If this button is invisible, then the file is already unblocked, and it should be opened without any problems. *
- PowerWorld Simulator 16 Help File – updated December 1, 2011
- PowerWorld Simulator 15 Help File – updated June 11, 2010
- PowerWorld Simulator 14 Help File – updated March 6, 2009
- PowerWorld Simulator 13 Help File – updated April 10, 2008
- PowerWorld Simulator 12 Help File – updated June 13, 2006
- PowerWorld Simulator 11 Help File – updated June 9, 2005
- PowerWorld Simulator 10 Help Files – updated March 25, 2004
* If you try opening the help file from the network drive, you may experience some problems. To allow your system to open help files from the network drive, download this (right click and choose Save Target As…) registry script. In order to run the script, rename the file to HelpFileFix.reg and then double click on the file. You will also need to have administrator access to your local machine.