Distributed Computing Setup
On both machines
- Ensure you have the latest Simulator build installed. It should be the same version on both machines.
- Use the RegSimAuto utility in the Simulator installation directory to ensure the correct version of Simulator is registered.
On the remote machine
- Set up a user that will be used to run distributed computation. This user must be a member of the Distributed COM Users group.
- Use dcomcnfg.exe to ensure distributed computation has the necessary DCOM permissions to launch, activate and access.
- Run dcomcnfg.exe.
- Open the Properties dialog of Component Services -> Computers -> My Computer -> DCOM Config -> simauto.
- Navigate to the Security tab; for both Launch and Activation Permissions and Access Permissions, select Customize and hit the Edit… button. Add the user that you configured above and ensure that the user has all permissions allowed.
- Configure Firewall to allow DCOM connections.
- Ensure that the user configured above has all read and execute privileges on the installation folder (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\PowerWorld\Simulator[version] and C:\Program Files\PowerWorld\Simulator[version] for 64-bit Simulator).
- Ensure that Simulator runs locally, and can start a distributed run using localhost.
On the local machine
- Ensure remote machine exists in Distributed Computing options.
- Open Simulator Options -> Distributed Computing.
- If remote machine is not on the list, click the Insert Computer button and configure the new line with the remote machine’s name or IP address.
- Ensure remote machine has proper credentials.
- Right-click on remote machine row, select Distributed Computer Records -> Add or Change Authentication Info.
- You will be prompted to either enter or create the Master Password.
- Enter remote login credentials when prompted (if user is local to the remote machine, the Domain is the remote machine’s name).
- Verify connection using Verify Computers Available button.
- Any connection errors will show up in the Simulator Log.
September 14, 2017