PowerWorld customers include many leading Independent System Operators (ISO) and utilities of all sizes. This page includes resources for using PowerWorld software and services to analyze and visualize transmission operations and expansion planning.
PowerWorld Software and Services
- Simulator ATC (Available Transfer Capability): calculates capacity of transmission network to support power transfers, subject to transmission line and interface limits; may be used with or without contingencies.
- Simulator PVQV (Voltage Stability Tools): calculates capacity of transmission network to support power transfers, subject to static voltage stability margins (PV curve); Also determines reactive power load margins at specified locations (QV); May be used with or without contingencies.
- Simulator Transient Stability: simulates the system’s transient response to faults; the tool includes the ability to batch process multiple faults and a powerful plotting utility.
- TransLineCalc Transmission Line Parameter Calculator: computes lumped impedance parameters based on line length, conductor type, and tower configuration.
- One-line Diagrams (Transmission Atlas): graphical power system representation for visualization and interaction with PowerWorld products
- Final Report on the Southwest Power Pool (SPP) EHV Overlay Project
Prepared for SPP by Quanta Technology (formerly Infrasource Technology) and PowerWorld Corporation. June 27, 2007.
- Automated Total Transfer Capability (TTC) Computations
Slava Maslennikov, ISO New England, 2007 PowerWorld Client Conference.
- NERC Reliability Compliance
Tracy Rolstad, Utility System Efficiencies, 2007 PowerWorld Client Conference.
Tutorials and Training
- Basic Simulator References:
Quick-Start Guide and sample cases
- Transient Stability References:
PowerWorld Simulator 15 Block Diagrams
Quick-Start Tutorial and sample cases: Most of the examples will work on the free demo version of Simulator with Transient Stability.
- N-1-1 Contingency Analysis using PowerWorld Simulator, Presentation, Sample Case and Auxiliary Files
- T.J. Overbye, “Power System Simulation: Understanding Small- and Large-System Operations,” IEEE Power and Energy Magazine, Vol 2, No 1, January/February 2004.
- WECC PowerWorld Program Users Work Group: Hosts regular meetings for WECC members to discuss standards and modeling techniques for PowerWorld Simulator.
Technical Papers and Published Research
- Advanced Sensitivity Analysis for Long-Range Transmission Expansion Planning
Scott R. Dahman, Donald J. Morrow, Keith Tynes, James D. Weber; p. 166, Proceedings of the 41st Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS 2008).
- Large-Scale Integration of Wind Generation Including Network Temporal Security Analysis; Grijalva, S.; Dahman, S.R.; Patten, K.J.; Visnesky, A.M.; IEEE Transaction on Energy Conversion, Volume 22, Issue 1, March 2007, Page(s) 181 – 188. (Requires IEEE Xplore Account for Full Article)
- T.J. Overbye, J. D. Weber, “Visualizing the Electric Grid,” IEEE Spectrum, February 2001 (requires IEEE Xplore login to view full article). View Images and JAVA animations created for the article.